Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kaceys First "Low"

I had my first "panic" since Kacey was diagnosed last week. It was close to dinner time and I tested her sugar and it was 64!! I thought maybe the test was wrong so I retested her and it was still a 64...OMG! She wasnt showing any signs of being low except being tired and a little bit of a headache. I immediately gave her 3 glucose tablets and called her doctor. He called me back within a few minutes and told me it was ok and to wait 15min and test again and if she wasnt above 80 then give her 3 more. He then told me to "Read my discharge instructions". I felt like he was a bit short with me but this was her first low and I was too frazzled to read those! I retested her and she had jumped to 154...so that was good! Im still feeling the stress of trying to be "Supermom" and make sure everything is perfect. Ive been doing tons of research and been in contact with JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). They are such a wonderful group! We were sopposed to get a "Bag of Hope" while we were in the hospital and we never got one so Lori Camden sent her one along with other "goodies". We're very excited about the Walk for a Cure. (Watch for more info on that soon!)

No comments: